Are you looking to know how you can program a buttonless Key Fob for a Harley-Davidson bike? Perhaps you’ve bought a new one, or you might have lost the previous key fob. If so, then you will find all the answers here.
Programming a buttonless Key Fob will involve using the AVDI and programming the Key Fob on your PC or laptop. It’ll be done within minutes and without any hassle as long as you know the right steps.
Those steps will be provided to you in this article. Here, you’ll get to know all about Harley-Davidson Key Fob, what does it do, how to program a Harley-Davidson buttonless Key Fob, and a lot more. Continue reading to know all about it.
What does a Harley-Davidson Key Fob do?
The Harley-Davidson key fob will allow the rider to jump on their Harley-Davidson bike and start the engine. You will then be able to ride off with your bike without having to insert the key into the ignition. It makes use of smart system technology, activating the bike and deactivating the security features once the key fob is near the bike. This is applicable for the buttonless Fob type while for the button type, you’ll need to press the Fob button.
If someone with evil intentions is trying to do something fishy with your bike, the signal lights will start blinking. Further, the siren will also get activated. The alarm system will only get deactivated by the key fob, by inserting the backup PIN. Further, your bike will remain safe as someone without the Key Fob will not be able to start your bike.
How to program a Harley-Davidson buttonless Key Fob using AVDI?
Knowing how to program a Harley-Davidson buttonless Key Fob is very important. If you don’t program it properly, it won’t run properly. You will not be able to keep your bike safe and secure. Further, you won’t be able to enjoy the benefit of riding your bike without having to put in the key. For programming a buttonless Key Fob, you will need to use the AVDI. To know how to program the buttonless Key Fob, follow these simple steps.
- Start by removing the side plastic cover. It will allow you to gain access to the diagnostics connector.
- Now, remove the rubber cap of the connector.
- Connect the CB305 cable connector to the AVDI using a J1850 adapter.
- Turn the IGN on and ensure that the fuel pump button in your bike is in the ‘run’ position.
- Start your Harley-Davidson bike’s software and open the Key Learning menu. You can do that by going to the Special Features option and then selecting Key Learning.
- You will get a list of motorcycle brands, select ‘Harley-Davidson’ before clicking on next.
- The software will then establish a diagnostic session with the selected unit.
- You will get multiple Key Fob options. You’ll need to select the position in which you wish to program the key.
- In the key positions, you can select any of them.
- If you’re adding a spare key, select the free position, i.e. Select “Key Fob 2 [0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000]” and click on next.
- Enter the new Key Fob serial number and click on next.
- Operation has been completed successfully. You’ve programmed the buttonless Key Fob on your Harley-Davidson bike.
- Now bring the buttonless Key Fob near the bike and check if the bike starts.
What to do if you need to replace your programmed Key Fob?
One of the biggest reasons why you might have to replace your Harley-Davidson Key Fob is if you end up losing the original one. A dead Key Fob battery may lead to some discomfort. However, you will only have to discard the old battery and then replace it with a new battery. After that, your Key Fob will almost work as a new Fob. By replacing the battery every year, you will be able to ensure that the battery won’t die suddenly.
In case your Harley-Davidson Key Fob is lost, you’ll need to consult the Harley-Davidson dealer. You must get a new Key Fob and program it the same way you programmed the original one. When you purchase a new Harley-Davidson bike, it’ll come with two keys and two Key Fobs. With the Key Fob, you’ll be able to operate the power locks for your motorcycle. You can then arm and disarm the bike’s security system.
As for security purposes, the bike won’t start if there is no buttonless Key Fob present in the vicinity. With the Harley-Davidson smart alarm, you will get an innovative siren feature in the security system. It will warn you if anyone tries to shift your bike.
Once you’ve purchased a Harley-Davidson Key Fob replacement, you’ll have to program it for your bike. Knowing how to program a Harley-Davidson buttonless Key Fob will help you operate the alarm system on your bike. You can easily do it on your own. But in case you need help, you can take your Harley-Davidson bike to a local dealer. An expert will help you program your new buttonless Key Fob. Programming a buttonless Key Fob for your Harley-Davidson bike will take you between 5 to 10 minutes. If you’re intending on doing it on your own, make sure that you do it using AVDI.
Is it possible to start your Harley-Davidson bike without the Key Fob?
If you’ve lost or misplaced the Key Fob and your bike’s security is enabled, you’ll require the security fob bypass for starting the bike. The bypass is essentially a 5-digit backup PIN that is made up of numbers 1-9. You can easily set or change the PIN at any time to your preference. You can follow the instructions mentioned in the owner’s manual. It would be smart to use numbers that have significance to you, or numbers that you can remember. This way, you’ll not forget your PIN easily, as it is something that you could need at any time.
For starting your Harley-Davidson bike without the Key Fob, turn the ignition switch to ON. By this point, the security light will start flashing, which means that the security is now armed. Click and hold the signal switch on the left until you come across an “Enter PIN”. It will flash with five dashes on the odometer gauge.
Then, enter the previously entered 5-digit personal code using the left turn switch for cycling through the digits. The signal button on the right side of the bike will help you select and move to the next dash slot. By entering the PIN, the security will be enabled. Then, you will be able to start your bike with ease. Beware, if you don’t know the PIN before losing the Key Fob, you’ll find it very tough to access the PIN.
Change the Security System PIN on your Harley-Davidson bike
For changing the security PIN, you need to have either the Key Fob present or know the existing valid PIN. This will allow you to gain access to the security system. If your Key Fob cannot be detected or it isn’t available, or you cannot remember the PIN, you should contact your local dealer. If you want to take the DIY route, you’ll need to know the right steps to change the Security PIN on your motorcycle.
- Turn the Power switch on. Don’t start the engine just yet. The security light or power switch will briefly turn on until the Key Fob is detected. It’ll also blink until the valid current PIN gets entered.
- Push or hold the turn signal ‘Cancel’ switch for 5-10 seconds until the security light or power switch turns on. On Harley-Davidson bikes with infotainment Display, a pop-up window appears during this process. This will confirm that the Key Fob is out of range.
- Now, you’ll either have to enter the Master PIN or the current rider PIN within 20 seconds. If the PIN has been successfully entered, the security light or power switch will remain on. The horn will then sound briefly. If the valid PIN isn’t entered within 20 seconds, the security light or power switch will flash for 10 seconds. The system will then shut down automatically. You should then return to step 1 and try again.
- Enter the new security PIN of your own choice. Once the PIN has been successfully entered, the security light or power switch will remain on, and the horn will briefly sound.
If the PIN isn’t successfully entered within 20 seconds, the security light or power switch flashes for 10 seconds. The system will then exit the procedure. Go back to step 1 and try again.
- Re-enter the new PIN. If the entry matches the first entry, the security light or power switch will turn off and the horn will briefly sound. This means that the new PIN has been saved. Make sure that you record the new PIN in your owner’s manual or someplace safe. If the second entry isn’t made within 20 seconds or it didn’t match the first entry, the security light or power switch flashes for 10 seconds. The system will then exit the procedure and the PIN will not be saved. You will have to continue using the former valid PIN and then return to step 1 again.
Never hesitate in consulting an expert
When unlocking the security system, never hesitate in consulting an expert if you face any issues. Your local dealer will give you the master PIN for the security system. The dealer could also change the master PIN to a new rider PIN for you. Ensure that you’ve written down the PIN inside the owner’s manual for easy reference. You can also change the dealer-provided PIN to something of your choosing once you receive your motorcycle. You can also do that after buying a used bike. In case the Key Fob isn’t available, the PIN can be entered using the turn signal switches. It will unlock the security system.
Thank you for reading. Hopefully, now you know a lot more about Harley-Davidson Key Fobs, how to program a Harley-Davidson buttonless Key Fob, how to change the security PIN, and a lot more. If you’re using a buttonless Key Fob, you can easily program it using AVDI. The entire process can be done within a matter of minutes.